Harveys 66% Savings & Stockpile Tip! Even though I have about 14 bundles of bath tissue in my stockpile, it’s my belief that you should never turn down a great offer on a staple item that is a necessity, such as toilet paper, paper towels, zippered bags, trash bags, laundry detergent, etc… therefore, I picked up an additional 8 bundles today! lol!!
LEARN THIS LESSON & THEN LIVE IT: If you have been following this blog for any length of time, then you already know the vast majority of my grocery store (and drugstore) purchases are stockpile items. If you have just discovered the ECQ blog, then welcome to the party!!! I’d say only 10% – 20% of my overall shopping trips are for items I will use during the week in which they are purchased. The other 80% – 90% consists of items I purchase at their lowest price (and mainly with coupons) to have on hand so that I am not at the mercy of any store’s pricing! Think back to a time when you ran out of an item that you needed “right then” and you headed out to the store to get it. You most likely did NOT have a coupon for the item, NOR was the item on sale! That meant you paid the price the STORE wanted you to pay!! By making sure I don’t run out of items my family uses, I put myself in the driver’s seat when it comes to the price I decide to pay for those items my family uses. I never wait until I have gone through 90% of my last pack of toilet paper (or whatever the item) to begin searching for sales and coupons to replenish my supply.
If you are just beginning to stockpile, I suggest you spend the majority of your budget (80% – 90%) on items you use on a weekly basis and 10% – 20% of your budget on any stockpile items on sale each week. As you accumulate the stockpile items you and your family use (no two households have the same stockpile items since stockpiles are tailored to each household’s needs & likes), you’ll notice the percentages shift. Less of your budget will be devoted to weekly items and more will go toward enlarging and sustaining your stockpile…which is where I am at in the process! Stockpiles are not built overnight. It takes about 9 months to create a deep stockpile, so be patient and diligent!!!
With that said, this week’s Harveys shopping trip was devoted to expanding my supply of soup for the coming cold weather. Since soup has a shelf life of more than 2 years, the 65 cans/bowls I purchased were a great buy!! In addition, I also grabbed 20 pounds of flour for holiday baking and a few other items!!!
After everything was bagged, I had purchased a total of $203.87 in products for $69.37 (66% total savings). Considering several items I bought were on sale but had no coupons available to use on them, 66% is not bad at all!!! It’s right in “the zone” of savings– between 65% and 75% savings. Of course I used 4 of my beloved Winn-Dixie $5.00 off $30.00 coupons! Only one of these deals is a Wednesday Special – the Charmin tissue – so, if you have been collecting coupons, then you should be able to duplicate most of these deals! OF NOTE: I already had my deals divided up into 4 transactions before I hit the store, but with them being out of Bounty, I had to improvise by getting a couple more Charmin. However, I DID get a rain check on the Bounty!! Yay!! See what I bought, the coupons I used, and my savings…